Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery.
-Jane Austen

Saturday, September 19, 2009

They may not be real...



...but I wish they were.  The fictional characters of the real island of Guernsey are so compelling that is takes very little to believe they're not in fact, fictional.  Written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, the book is made up of letters and telegrams sent in the aftermath of the second World War.  Each piece of correspondence between these (mostly) delightful characters seems so founded in truth and personality that I found myself needing reminders that they had been (wonderfully) fabricated.  
The book opens with a letter from Juliet Ashton to her publisher and friend Sidney Stark.  I only had to read this letter to know that I would love Juliet.  She continues her correspondence with Sidney about a series she wrote during the War called "Izzy Bickerstaff Goes to War".  "Izzy" is a great success and the majority of the first part of the book follows Juliet on her book tour.  One of my favorite letters is written by Susan, Juliet's agent, to Sidney informing him that the media frenzy Juliet created from her sharp tongue was indeed true and entirely deserved.  Juliet always speakes her mind and the honesty she has with her friends is both lovely and refreshing to read.

Another favorite passage of mine comes when we are introduced to Dawsey Adams, a resident on the Channel Island of Guernsey.  He has come across an old book of Juliet's by Charles Lamb and writes her in hopes that she knows where he may find more or Lamb's essays.  His letter is filled with interesting tidbits that hooks Juliet immediately and the two begin to write each other regularly, opening the door for the other wonderful inhabitants of Guernsey. 

After many letters between the interesting people of this small island, Juliet makes the trek there and discovers more than she could have imagined.  One of my favorite aspects of the book was the parallel that Shaffer and Barrows created between Juliet and a woman named Elizabeth that we never get the opportunity to meet in the book.  My knowledge of Elizabeth came entirely from the stories told to Juliet by the people of Guernsey and yet I felt like they could have been my own memories.  I don't think I have ever read a book where I felt so intrinsically connected to the characters.  After the first several pages, I barely realized I was still reading a book composed entirely of letters.  Elizabeth became one of the characters that I was most invested in and I never even read so much as a first hand account from her.  That may have been what I love most about this book: I became so invested in the lives and well being of these characters and I didn't even realize it until I'd finished the book and felt a kind of loss that it was over. 

I picked up this book because I thought the title was intriguing.  After reading it, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my very favorite books and Juliet Ashton is one of the most genuine and honest narrarators I've read in awhile.  Bravo Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, I would not have had the pleasure of visiting Guernsey or knowing the wonderful people in Juliet's life without you both.

...Hen

0 comments:

Post a Comment