Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery.
-Jane Austen

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I know it's been a while...

...and I'm pretty sure today isn't movie day. But it's our blog, we make the rules.

Besides, Hen and I just saw G.I. Joe. Yes, I know. Contrary to popular opinion, I liked this movie. But before you get out your pitchforks, let me explain myself.

Sometimes, I just want a movie to be entertaining. Call me crazy, but that's what they're for, right? And G.I. Joe didn't disappoint on that front. Sure, at times the acting was subpar at best, and this movie certainly won't be winning any awards, but it was fun to watch.
For me, it was better than Transformers. The graphics didn't get in the way of what was happening in the scene, and though the plot was sketchy at times, it still made sense on the whole. With the exception of Shia LaBeouf (my heart flutters a little bit when I think of him), I thought the acting in G.I. Joe was better than Transformers. It seemed more real to me, but I can't put my finger on the reasoning. I'm not saying the acting in G.I. Joe was perfect, because there were definitely more than a few times that I rolled my eyes until it hurt at a badly delivered line. But in the end, I know that this movie was meant to be a summer blockbuster, not to blow my mind with plot twists and deeper meaning. So if I were you, I'd see it, if only for the action-packed fight scenes. Seriously, they're awesome. And they even fit a few laughs in between.

Besides, who turns down Channing Tatum?

Personally, I think the biggest issue this movie had was in publicity. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who stole my heart in 500 Days of Summer) was a part of this project, along with Sienna Miller. And while I knew that Dennis Quaid was involved, I was completely unaware that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (who played Mr. Eko, the best character Lost ever had) was a major character. Even Brendan Fraser made a small appearance. Not to mention, I don't remember seeing a trailer for this movie outside of a movie theater. What the hell, Paramount? Did you want it to fail? Luckily, it still did well at the box office. Honestly though, I'd have gone to see this much sooner had I known who was in it. Maybe that's why I have such an issue with the PR (or lack thereof).

In any case, go see this movie if you want to be entertained for a few hours, but not if you want your mind blown.
Letty

0 comments:

Post a Comment